|This Triggers Church Fire in Egypt That Kills Dozens of People|
A fire broke out at a Coptic Christian church in the Cairo area, Egypt on Sunday (14/8). In that incident, as many as 41 people were killed and 45 others were injured. Security sources said the fire started from an electrical short when about 5,000 people attended mass at the Coptic Abu Sifin church in the residential area of Imbaba.
The fire closed the gates of the church so many victims were trampled on, two sources said. They added that most of the dead were children. "People were gathering on the third and fourth floors, and we saw smoke rising from the second floor. People were scrambling downstairs and some were trampled," said Yasir Munir, a member of the church congregation. Monday (15/8). "Then we heard a bang, and sparks and flames shot out of the window," he added.
At the time of the incident, Munir was on the ground floor with his daughter and they managed to escape. In a statement, the Interior Ministry said forensic examinations showed that the fire started in the second-floor air conditioner as a result of an electrical malfunction.
Giza is the second largest city in Egypt and is located across the Nile from Cairo. "I offer my sincere condolences to the families of the innocent victims who have been with God in one of his synagogues," Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi said on Twitter.