Corona virus cases are still hitting and people are asked to remain vigilant. The thing that must be done is to maintain health, apply health protocols. Some of you may still be confused about the difference between the Covid-19 omicron and the common cold. This is because they almost have similar symptoms. An epidemiologist in the US, Abdul El-Sayed, said the symptoms of Omicron and flu have very slight differences, even tend to be similar. Covid-19 and the flu both cause symptoms of a cold, cough, fever, muscle aches, vomiting, fatigue, and diarrhea. The difference is, someone who is exposed to the corona virus will usually feel symptoms of a headache and a dry cough.
Due to the slight difference between Omicron and flu symptoms, El-Sayed provides tips to determine the risk of exposure to the
Omicron variant of Covid-19.
"Try to start considering also whether there is the possibility of close contact with people with Covid-19," he said, as reported by CNN. If you are in close contact with a person with Covid-19, immediately self-isolate and get tested for Covid-19 so that you can determine the treatment. The Omicron variant causes mild symptoms such as the common cold, cough, and fever with a rapid rate of transmission. In addition, the Omicron variant has a lower hospitalization rate, as well as a lower severity. So that patients who enter the hospital are fewer than patients who carry out self-isolation (isoman). The government's strategy in dealing with the Omicron wave is slightly different from dealing with the Delta wave. Delta waves have a high severity, so the government must prepare hospitals with many beds. While the high Omicron is the transmission, but the severity is low.
The following are the differences between Omicron symptoms and the common cold:
1. Sore throat and itching. If one of the symptoms you feel is a sore throat and itching, you should get checked. The reason is, sore throat and itching are rarely found in the symptoms of the common cold. In contrast, this symptom was found in patients infected with the Omicron variant.
2. Dry cough. Flu sufferers rarely have cough symptoms. Meanwhile, in patients with the previous variant of the corona virus, a dry cough is one of the indications.
3. Loss of sense of smell and shortness of breath or shortness of breath. Although these two symptoms are rarely seen in Omicron patients, if you feel them, you are most likely infected with the previous variant of the Covid-19 virus.
* To the public to always remain vigilant and careful about the spread of Omicron variants.
*In preventing transmission of the Omicron variant, people must continue to wear masks and avoid crowds. This is because the Omicron variant is more contagious than other variants.
*People are encouraged to work from home.
* Even if there are people who are infected, there is no need to panic and immediately do isoman in a disciplined manner. "Those who need to go to the hospital if there are elderly or many comorbidities, go to the hospital. And get vaccinated quickly to strengthen the body's resistance to face new variants,"